Venturing to the Beauty supply store or pharmacy and scouring the isles for just the right hair products to care for your hair is how most of us secure that beauty item that we believe is best suited to for our specific hair type. However, more and more it is being revealed – and encouraged – that our pantry at home is where we can find those valued components which will enhance our hair care.
Whether your hair is natural or relaxed, or you’ve incorporated body with ONYC Kinky Curly, ONYC Body-2-Wavy, ONYC Mongolian Relaxed Perm Or one of the other top quality hair types, we would like to offer some homemade elements learned from reputable woman’s columinist Brynn Mannino ,which will be a huge benefit!
1) For all hair types
Use the (raw) egg. Did you know that the yolk of the egg is rich in fats and proteins which work to naturally moisturize? As for white of the egg, it possesses bacteria-eating enzymes which removes unwanted oils.
- For normal hair, use the entire egg to condition hair.
- For oily hair, use egg whites only to treat oily hair.
- For dry-brittle hair use, egg yolks only to moisturize dry.
- Use 1/2 cup of whichever egg mixture is appropriate for you and apply to clean, damp hair. If there isn’t enough egg to cover the entire scalp and hair, just break another one.
- Leave on for 20 minutes, rinse with cool water (to prevent egg from “cooking”) and shampoo hair. Whole egg and yolks-only treatments can be applied once a month; whites-only treatment can be applied every two weeks.
2) For Dull Hair
Dairy products like sour cream and plain yogurt can help reverse the damage that hair sprays and other hair enhancing products can leave behind. “Lactic acid gently strips away dirt while the milk fat moisturizes,” says Lisa Belkin, author of “The Cosmetics Cookbook”.
- Massage 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt into damp hair and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, followed by cool water, then shampoo hair as you normally would. Treatment can be applied every other week.
- Mix 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons water, and massage into damp scalp.
- Let mixture sit for 20 minutes, then rinse and shampoo hair. This treatment can be applied every other week.
- Mix 1/2 cup flat beer (pour beer into a container and let it sit out for a couple of hours to deplete carbonation) with 1 teaspoon light oil (sunflower or canola) and a raw egg.
- Apply to clean, damp hair, let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse with cool water.
- Or add flat beer only to a spray bottle and spritz onto dry hair. “When the liquid evaporates, the remaining protein residue (from the wheat, malt or hops) continues to strengthen and structure hair,” says Belkin. Treatments can be applied every other week.
5) For dry or sun-damaged hair
- Massage approximately 1/2 cup honey into clean, damp hair, let sit for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- You can also add 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil to loosen the honey for easier application.
- or extremely sun-damaged hair, trying mixing honey with 1 to 2 tablespoons of a protein-rich ingredient, like avocado or egg yolk, which will help replenish the keratin protein bonds that UV rays attack.
- Treatment can be applied once a month.
- Pour 1 tablespoon cornmeal or cornstarch into an empty salt or pepper shaker and sprinkle onto dry hair and scalp until you’ve used it all.
- After 10 minutes, use a paddle hairbrush to completely brush it out. Treatment can be applied every other day.
- Mash up half an avocado and massage into clean, damp hair.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Amp up moisturizing power by combining mashed avocado with 1 to 2 tablespoons of a hydrating ingredient, like sour cream, egg yolks or mayonnaise.
- Treatment can be applied every two weeks.
- Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons baking soda with small amounts of water until a thick paste forms. Massage into damp hair and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water, then shampoo hair. Treatment can be applied every two weeks.
We hope that this information was helpful as well as useful. It’s all about treating your hair with some Tender-Loving-Care, and nature is waiting to take you there.